Sandeep Silas was born on 19th September 1960 at Agra, India. Schooling completed at St. Peter’s College, Agra in 1976, he went to college at St. John’s, Agra, and studied History. He entered the Civil Services in India in 1984. As a British Chevening Scholar he studied “Strategic Management” at Manchester Business School, Manchester, UK. In 2008 he graduated from the No. 1 ranked School of Public Affairs in the United States, The Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs of Syracuse University, New York, and holds a Masters of Public Administration with distinction and honour.
Sandeep Silas has a rich experience of working in various capacities in seven Ministries of the Government of India viz; Railways; Statistics & Programme Implementation, Youth Affairs & Sports; Overseas Indian Affairs; Tourism & Culture; and Labour & Employment.
As a public information specialist he was responsible for conceptualizing the year-long country-wide grand celebration of the 150th Year of Railways in India. Similarly, he was instrumental in making the first-ever mobile science exhibition on rail in the world, the 12-coach Vigyan Rail, which was flagged off by the Prime Minister of India on 15th December 2003 on an eight month long journey into 2004, in the Year of Scientific Awareness.
Recently, the Sri Lankan Government accepted his idea and concept of making a Sita-Rama Heritage Tourism Trail in Sri Lanka linking all the Ramayana sites for promotion of tourism.
He pursues with the UN, his novel idea and concept, now become his mission; the "Garland of Peace", a project to declare all war ruins in the world as Peace Heritage Sites, to take yet another step towards peace building, peace education and peace tourism.
- Ruhani Khayal (Silas 2014) a book of Nazms/ghazals
- Ranai-e-Khayal (Silas 2012) a book of ghazals
- Rainbows Don't Last Forever (Translated in Malayalam language; May 2012; Manorama Books, Kottayam, India)
- Rainbows Don’t Last Forever (2010)
- Saada Khayal (Vani Prakashan, 2009) is his book of nazams and ghazals in Hindustani.
- Borough in the Mist (Sterling Publishers 2007), Read the book
- Morrow’s Face (Sterling Paperbacks, 2005)
- Discover India by Rail (Sterling Paperbacks, 2001), his first book, helps the tourist choose an itinerary for a holiday in India; travel and experience the beauty of the land.
E-Books (On Amazon Kindle)
- Rainbows Don't Last Forever (April 18, 2012)
- Innocent Times (April 19, 2012)
- Beautiful Thoughts (May 5, 2012) (2010)
- Discovery of Life (July 27, 2012)
- IBADAT-E-ISHQ (Worship of Love), Music Album brought out by TIMES MUSIC- a peace bridge of music project by Sandeep Silas 'deep' (India) and Ustad Shafqat Ali Khan (Pakistan) !
with a Cc to
He has also written a couple of title songs in Hindi for TV serials and for a short feature film.
He has been published in coffee table books on tourism and has more than 325 published articles.
The two solo photographic exhibitions by Sandeep— Orchids and Faces, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (March 21, 2009 to August 20, 2009) and Tranquil Moments, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (April 1, 2010 to August 20, 2009) have been much appreciated for their sensitivity, exuberance and immortal appeal. These have been described by art lovers as “living paintings”.
Today he has evolved as a public affairs administrator, public information specialist, poet, lyricist, travel writer, and a tourism promotion enthusiast.